What if I am denied entry to Canada for DUI

A DUI (driving under the influence) conviction is a serious charge in Canada. If you are convicted of a DUI in the United States or you have a DUI charge on your record, you could face being denied entry to Canada. Not all criminal convictions will cause you to be refused entry to the country of Canada, but DUIs and convictions for drugs are considered to be very serious by the government of Canada and by Canadian immigration authorities. 

A person who is criminally inadmissible is not allowed to enter Canada without advance special permission.

Applying for a temporary resident permit with a DUI

If you are denied entry to Canada for a DUI, you could apply for a temporary resident permit. When you apply for a temporary resident permit because of a DUI, there’s several things you need to provide with your application. These include a letter from your employer that describes your job, proof you’ve paid any fines or completed any community service related to your DUI conviction, information about the court judgements made against you, copies of laws you were charged under – Canadian or foreign, as well as national, state and local police certificates.

A temporary resident permit may be the most viable option for you if your DUI is less than five years old.

You may also be able to qualify for rehabilitation. To do so, you will need to provide proof that you’ve completed your sentences, paid applicable fines and that your license has been restored, along with state, local and national police certificates. There are also additional documents needed, such as anything relating to your conviction.

If your DUI is more than five years old, criminal rehabilitation could be your best option.

If you are denied entry to Canada or think you could be denied entry to Canada, make sure you speak with a licensed immigration lawyer. We can make a huge difference in the success of your application for criminal rehabilitation or your temporary resident permit. Call us at the number above for help.


Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.