L1 Visa to Work in a US Business

If you are expanding your business to the United States or you are being transferred to an existing US business, you can apply for the L1 Visa.  First, you will have to determine if you or your business are qualified for this US Work Visa.  It can be difficult to know if you are eligible because there are very specific legal definitions involved in the requirements, and you’ll need to know exactly what is meant in order to be successful with your application.

At Niren & Associates, we know that immigration terms can often be confusing or complicated, and that it is much easier to rely on experts for advice.  That’s why we provide consultations where we can discuss exactly what is needed for your unique immigration needs, which allows you to make the right decisions that will positively affect your application.

Contact our Edmonton immigration office for a no-obligation, honest, professional assessment of your immigration needs.

I was able to obtain my L-1B visa successfully with the only minor issues being those that you brought up so I was able to overcome them. Thank you to you and your staff for all your hard work. – Matt K.

L1 Visa Qualifications for You or Your Business

There are two types of L1 Visas:

  • L-1A Visas: for employees working as an executive or manager for their company
  • L-1B Visas: for people with specialized knowledge

L1 visas are available to employees working for companies outside the United States (such as in Canada) that have BRANCHES, SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES or JOINT VENTURE PARTNERS in the United States.

Our Edmonton Immigration Attorneys Can Help You Get Approved for a L1 Visa

Niren & Associates has many years experience assisting business immigrants, including employees that are expanding their business or transferring to a US business.

We advice L1 visa applicants on important details, such as:

  • The terms “manager”, “executive” and “specialized knowledge” have very specific legal definitions. We can determine if you qualify.
  • Each type of business relationship is precisely defined by U.S. Immigration Regulations.  We can determine whether the business relationship complies with the INS definition.

Contact our Edmonton, AB immigration lawyers for legal consultation regarding L1 Visas

Basic Requirements for L1 Visas

  • You must have worked outside the United States (such as in Canada) for one full year within the preceding three years on a full time basis; and
  • You must have worked for a “qualifying organization” outside the United States as an executive, manager or in a “specialized knowledge”; and
  • You are being transferred to the United States to work for a new or existing U.S. Business that is either subsidiary, branch or affiliate of the Canadian company.

Having a L1A Visa is One Step Closer to Getting a Green Card

Persons holding or persons who are eligible for a L-1A visa as an executive or manager may qualify for an employment-based green card. In addition, you also can apply for a green card without having to undergo the rigorous process of Labor Certification which involves proving that there are no U.S. workers who can fill the position offered by the U.S. employer.

Canadians Can Apply for L1 Visas at the US Border

Canadians can apply for L1 work visas and can take advantage of NAFTA by of applying for L1 visas at a U.S/Canadian port of entry rather than having to apply at a U.S. immigration office.  This means that a Canadian can take all his or her documentation to a U.S. border and receive an L1 Visa on the spot!

Before Applying for an L1 Visa, Ask Our Immigration Team About Documentation

An L1 Visa application requires the applicant to present many different documents, such as:

  • information about the existing Canadian company
  • your employment in Canada
  • business plans for the US
  • US company documents
  • US Immigration forms

Contact our Edmonton, AB immigration attorneys to learn about which specific documents you need for your L1 Visa