E-1 and E-2 Visas for US Business Investment and Trading

If you are interested in coming to the United States as an investor or trader, you may be able to apply for an E Visa.  You will need to fulfill a host of specific requirements to qualify for this US work visa.  Preparing the application packages for this method of immigration can be overwhelming, which is why thousands of people every year contact our immigration law firm to manage their case workload.

With over 15 years of experience helping investors and traders to successfully visit the US for work, Niren & Associates will work closely with you on your specific immigration needs.  We will determine if you meet the conditions for an E Visa , and properly prepare and submit your application.  Let us take care of the complicated legal matters so you can concentrate on what you do best.

Contact our Edmonton, AB immigration attorneys to begin preparing your visa application package

Thank you for your help with my E-1. I appreciated everybody’s service, such as their attitude with the client, their way of communicating, their working style and their co-operation during the documentation preparation.” – Said S.

E-1 “Treaty Trader” Visa:  The Requirements

E-1 visas are for individuals involved in the exchange, purchase or sale of goods/services or merchandise. Services include technology transfer, architecture and engineering services, management consulting or accounting.

In order to qualify for the E-1, the following requirements must be met:

  • The trade in goods and services should be substantial, as defined by the INS, in terms of value, volume or a large number of small transactions.
  • The trade must be principally with the treaty country.
  • More than 50% of the total volume of international trade must be between the U.S. and the treaty country.
  • The amount of trade must be sufficient to ensure a continuous flow of international trade between the U.S. and the treaty country.
  • Trade can be binding contracts that call for the future exchange of items.
  • Income derived from the value of numerous transactions that is sufficient to support the trades and his/her family is a favourable factor.

These visas can only be issued to countries that have a treaty with the US.  These countries are listed at the bottom of this page.

Our immigration attorneys at Niren & Associates have extensive knowledge regarding immigration regulations for trading.  With so many details involved, individuals who are interested in E-1 visas will come to us to help with the application process.

Contact our Edmonton, AB immigration attorneys to help prepare your E-1 application

E-2 Visa List of Qualifications

E-2 visas are for owners and investors in businesses in the United States.

Applicants are required to adhere to the following in order to qualify:

  • Show that “substantial” investment or funds are available and committed to the investment;
  • The investment must be in an active business as opposed to passive investment such as purchasing a home;
  • At least 50% of the business must be owned by an alien from a country which has a treaty with the United States;
  • The investment must create enough profit to provide a living for more than just the alien and his/her family.

There is no minimum amount of investment necessary to obtain an E-2 visa, and whether an amount will be considered “substantial” depends on the type of business involved, the number of jobs created the alien’s personal assets, etc. In most cases, the investment should be at least $100,000USD but sometimes it may be less than this.

Employees of E-2 companies may be granted E-2 visas if they are or will be engaged in duties that are executive, managerial, or supervisory in nature. If employed in a minor capacity, the employee may be granted E-2 visa if he or she has special qualifications that make the services to be rendered essential to the enterprise.

The spouse and children (unmarried and under 21) of E-1 or E-2 visa holders are entitled to the same E-1 or E-2 classification as the principal.

Our Immigration Lawyers Can Help Investors with their E2 or E1 Visas

With many years experience in assisting investors to come to the US, Niren & Associates are aware of the important details that allow for an approved application.  Our immigration lawyers can also assess:

  • what the “substantial” amount of investment your unique case will require
  • whether employees of an E-2 company has the special qualifications to be granted an E-2 visa

“I found myself in a frantic situation as my company would most likely suffer without my physical presence in the US. I retained the expertise of Niren and Associates who were experienced as well as respectful in their technique and notably made it possible to properly take care of acquiring my investor visa.” – Sharon K.

Countries which have Signed Treaties for E-1 and / or E-2 Visas

  • Argentina
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bosnia/Herzegovina
  • Canada
  • China(Taiwan)
  • Colombia
  • CostaRica
  • Croatia
  • Estonia
  • Ethiopia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Georgia
  • Germany
  • Honduras
  • Iran
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Jamaica
  • Japan
  • Korea Liberia
  • Luxembourg
  • Macedonia
  • Mexico
  • Moldova
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Oman
  • Pakistan
  • Paraguay
  • Philippines
  • SerbiaMontenegro
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Suriname
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Thailand
  • Togo
  • Turkey
  • United Kingdom

Treaties conferring only E-1 treaty-trader status exist with the following countries:

  • Bolivia
  • Brunei
  • Denmark
  • Greece
  • Israel
  • Latvia

Treaties conferring only E-2 treaty-investor status exist with the following countries:

  • Armenia
  • Bangladesh
  • Bulgaria
  • Cameroon
  • Congo
  • Czech Republic
  • Ecuador
  • Egypt
  • Grenada
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Moldova
  • Mongolia
  • Morocco
  • Panama
  • Poland
  • Romania
  • Senegal
  • Slovak Republic
  • Sri Lanka
  • Trinidad&Tobago
  • Tunisia
  • Ukraine
  • Zaire