US Work Visas For Canadians

If you are a Canadian citizen who is going to be working in the United States on behalf of a United States employer, you are required to obtain a United States work visa. This work visa will allow you to live and work in the United States for the period in which your work visa is valid for.

There will be strict terms and conditions on your work visa, and the application process can be complex. There are also a number of different visa types available to Canadians, each one with its own set of terms and requirements.

Which US Work Visa is right for me?

There is almost a United States work visa available for every situation if you want to work in the United States, but you’ll need to figure out which work visas are available for your own situation. For example, if you are a doctor, a lawyer, a scientist, an engineer or work in any other profession that requires a similar level of education and skill, you may be able to obtain a TN Visa. You’ll need a job offer from a United States employer, as well as proof you are a Canadian citizen as only Canadian or Mexican citizens may apply for the TN Visa.

Another work visa that Canadians can apply for if they have a very specific set of skills and experience is the H1B visa, and you also need a job offer from a United States employer for this visa.

However, not all US visas require a valid job offer – for example you may be already working for a Canadian employer and need to transfer to a new office in the United States while working for the same employer. In this case, an L1 work visa might be the best work visa for you.

As a Canadian looking to work in the United States, it’s imperative that you meet the requirements for the United States work visa you choose. Speaking to a licensed immigration lawyer about your situation can prove to be a great advantage for you when it comes to working in the United States. Not only can we help you choose which visa would be best for your situation, we can also help you apply and ensure your application is complete and without error. Call us at the phone number on the top of this page, we can help you!

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.


Join Us Socially

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.