Sponsor a spouse that lives in Edmonton to the USA

If you have a spouse who is an American citizen or a permanent resident of the United States, they could sponsor you to the United States. However, spousal sponsorship applications in the United States are very hard to do successfully. Below is information on what is needed to be a sponsor and the different ways of applying for spousal sponsorship. 

Keep in mind that you are at a strong disadvantage if you end up applying to sponsor someone alone. We can help you with your spousal sponsorship application, and ensure that no mistakes are made. We can also assess your case and let you know your chances when it comes to being successful or not.

What are the requirements for a spousal sponsor?

In order to qualify to sponsor a spouse to the United States, the sponsor must have documentation to prove that they are an American Citizen or green card holder that is over the age of 18.

In addition to the above, they must have an address in the United States and spend the majority of their time there, while also earning an income that is 125% over the poverty line.

The income requirement is especially important. This is because the United States government must be absolutely sure that your spouse will not come to the United States and need welfare, but instead that you will support them.

Methods of applying for spousal sponsorship

Is your spouse currently in the United States on a work permit, study visa or visitor permit? Then you could apply for an adjustment of status so they can remain in the United States while the regular spousal sponsorship application is in processing. Please note that if an adjustment of status (also called an AOS) is filed, the sponsored spouse cannot leave the US without advance permission.

Is your spouse outside of the United States? If that is the case, they can apply to immigrate to the United States at their closest consulate or United States office abroad.

We would love to help you realize your dream of bringing your family together in the United States of America. We’ve been helping people do so for over 15 years with great success. Please contact us today.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.


Join Us Socially

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.