Renew Your Permanent Resident Card in Edmonton

Any permanent resident card holder in Edmonton is expected to keep their card valid at all times. This means you are expected to take action as soon as you realize your permanent resident card is about to expire. If you do not maintain your permanent resident card as required, you can run into problems. For example, you will not be able to re-enter Canada if you leave the country and you could actually put your status in Canada at risk. Renew Your permanent resident Card

When you renew your permanent resident card, you need to submit an application package to Citizenship and Immigration Canada. In doing so, you will need to fill out an application to renew your permanent resident card as well as submit several supporting documents. Some of these documents will have to prove your identity, while others will offer more information about your life in Canada. You will also have to prove that you’ve met the residency requirement.

The residency requirement for permanent resident status in Canada is that you spend 730 days, or two years, in Canada during the five year period. If you cannot prove this, you should speak to a licensed immigration lawyer immediately. You will not be able to renew your permanent resident card if you have not met this requirement.

When to renew your permanent resident card in Edmonton

The processing times for an immigration application, including for permanent resident card renewal applications, can change weekly. For example, as of January 23, 2013, processing times for renewals and replacement cards are about 99 calendar days. This means you should submit your application at least this far in advance.

However, these processing times are only for permanent resident card renewal application packages that are complete and have no issues or extenuating circumstances. You will need a valid permanent resident card to travel outside of Canada, so contact an immigration lawyer for assistance with your application package to ensure it is ready for processing. In addition, if you need your renewed permanent resident card faster, we can help you expedite the process.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.


Join Us Socially

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.