Entering Canada From the US With a Criminal Record

Are you a United States citizen with a criminal record? If you want to visit Canada and you have a criminal record in the United States, you may be denied entry to Canada. Canada and the United States share information, which means that any information the United States may have about your criminal record would also be known by Canada. criminal record

Being denied entry to Canada can be frustrating and will interfere with your travel plans. If you want to visit Canada from the United States and have a criminal record, you may be able to obtain a temporary resident permit.

A temporary resident permit is also known as a visitor visa. This will allow you into Canada despite your criminal inadmissibility.

Will my criminal record prevent me from being allowed into Canada?

Your criminal record, no matter how seemingly inconvenient, can cause you to be denied entry into Canada. A criminal conviction that is for something seemingly small (like a pot bust in the 1970s) or even decades old can still cause the Canadian border officials to deny you entry to Canada. If this happens, you will have to turn around and go back where you came from right away.

When you apply for a temporary resident permit, you will provide the authorities with all of the information they need to see if you are eligible to enter Canada. They’ll look at the specifics of your case more closely this way. You will also have to provide proof of your ties to the United States and show them that you won’t overstay your temporary resident permit.

Note that it is still up to the border officials as to whether you are allowed into Canada even if you do have a temporary resident permit. That’s why you’ll need to be expertly prepared when you cross the border into Canada, and why you should make sure your temporary resident permit application is flawless. Speak to a licensed immigration attorney as soon as you know you are planning on visiting Canada or crossing the border. We can help! Contact us using the form on the right.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.