Denied entry to Canada. What are my options?

It can come as a very unpleasant surprise to find that you’ve been denied entry to Canada. Millions of people cross the US-Canada border every single year, and it’s not uncommon for many of these people to have a hard time getting through to Canada or even not get in at all. Entering Canada with a Misdemeanor

There are many different reasons why people are denied entry to Canada. One of these reasons, and the most common of these reasons, is because the person trying to enter Canada has a criminal record. A criminal record for a small or even a very old offense can result in your inadmissibility to Canada. However, you do have options if you’ve been denied entry.

What to do if you have been denied entry to Canada

Someone who is criminally inadmissible to Canada has two options. They can either apply for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) or they can apply for criminal rehabilitation. But which one of these options is right for you?

If your criminal record is newer than five years, you could consider applying for a Temporary Resident Permit. You can get a Temporary Resident Permit right away at the US-Canada border or Canadian port of entry. However, that does not mean that they are easy to obtain.

If your criminal record is older than five years, you could be eligible to apply for criminal rehabilitation. Criminal rehabilitation is something that will remove your inadmissibility completely. However, this can take several months.

While these options are available for individuals who wish to overcome their inadmissibility, they are by no means easy to come by. Applicants will have to provide a lot of supporting documentation and different types of information to the Canadian immigration authorities. However, if you feel that one of these options may suit you, please contact our immigration law firm for assistance. We can help you!

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.