Are You a Skilled Worker? Get Canadian Permanent Residence

During the past ten years, if you have at least one year of continuous full-time or equivalent paid work experience  in one of 29 specific high-demand occupations, then you fulfill a significant requirement towards getting Canadian permanent residence through the Skilled Worker program.  You would still need to qualify for the program through a point system that measures a variety of different aspects.

If you already have the background of work, you have already done the hard work.  Rather than attempting to fulfill the complicated legal requirements to qualify for the Skilled Worker program, you should enlist the help of qualified immigration attorneys.  For over 15 years, Niren & Assocates have properly completed and submitted applications for skilled workers, providing an expert service that has allowed countless skilled workers to earn Canadian permanent residence.

Contact our Edmonton immigration law firm for application assistance today

We were facing immigration issues in our current country of residence, which carried several unpredictable issues and which could affect our Canadian Skilled Worker application.  At this point we have been approved for our visa, and we can say unequivocally that without Niren & Associates’ expertise we would have been unable to make a strong enough case to the Canadian Immigration Service. – Brian H.

Skilled Workers Are Required To Get Enough “Points” To Qualify

To qualify as a skilled worker, applicants are assessed on a number of different “factors” about their personal circumstances and are awarded “points” for each factor.

These selection criteria are as follows:

  • Education                                  Maximum 25 Points
  • Official Languages               Maximum 24 Points
  • Experience                                Maximum 21 Points
  • Arranged Employment    Maximum 10 Points
  • Age                                                  Maximum 10 Points
  • Adaptability                             Maximum 10 Points

TOTAL POINTS                           100 Points
Points to Pass                             67 Points

Note that to qualify under the Skilled Worker Class, you will have to have at least one (1) year of full-time (37.5 hours per week or more) work experience within the past ten (10) years in one of the occupations listed in either Skill Type 0 or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). The NOC was developed by Human Resources Development Canada to be a systematic cataloguing of occupations in the Canadian labour market.

The NOC is divided into five (5) bands:

  • Skill Type 0 Management Occupations
  • Skill Level A Professional and Related occupations
  • Skill Level B Technical, skilled trades and paraprofessional occupations
  • Skill Level C Occupations of intermediate level, clerical or supportive functions
  • Skill Level D Elemental sales or service and primary labour occupations

Subject to certain limited exceptions, only experience in Skill Type 0 or Skill Levels A and B are considered relevant for applicants in the Independent/Skilled Worker Class.

If You Don’t Have Enough “Points” to Qualify, You Still May Be Approved

If an applicant scores below sixty-seven (67) points, he/she may still be approved in cases where the immigration officer assessing the case exercises positive discretion in the applicant’s favour. The Immigration Regulations permits an immigration officer to exercise positive discretion in such a case, if the officer is of the opinion that it is likely that the applicant will economically establish himself/herself in Canada.

Beware, however, that the Immigration Regulations gives an immigration officer the power to exercise negative discretion in cases where the applicant scores 67 points or above, if the officer forms the opinion that the applicant will unlikely economically establish himself/herself in Canada.

Our Edmonton Immigration Attorneys Know How to Calculate Your Skilled Worker Score

Calculating your points can be somewhat complicated. It is more than just a matter of adding up the scores. It is NOT recommended that you rely on your own assessment. There are many legal issues involved in the proper calculation of immigration points that must be taken into consideration when adding up your score. A thorough understanding of Canadian immigration law is required to accurately assess whether you have enough points to immigrate. It is recommended that you get a professional assessment to accurately calculate your score.

Contact our Edmonton, AB attorneys for a professional assessment of your eligibility to qualify for the skilled worker category